What is the Crazy Eights?
How to do the Crazy Eights?
4. Repeat until all 8 sections are filled.
Running a remote Crazy Eights
You can definitely run Crazy 8’s remotely. If you’re doing it for the first time, it will take longer than a face-to-face session because of the sketching part. Not many people, apart from designers, are comfortable drawing using software. And if you’re in a design sprint, you will have participants who are marketers, developers, and managers, so be aware of that when planning the session.
- If most people are uncomfortable using online tools for drawing, you can let them sketch by hand on a piece of paper. Then take a photo of the sketches and upload to the virtual whiteboard you’re using. You can have people email the items to someone who will upload the files, or they can upload themselves, depending on the software you’re using.
- Use tools such as Invision’s Freehand, Sketch, Procreate and a handful of design software that you’re comfortable working with. Choose one that allows you to easily convert the files to a different format to upload to your whiteboard, or one that integrates seamlessly with the whiteboard app. If you’re using this method, then it’s best for people to test it out before the session or before the design sprint starts. It’ll save time and reduce technical errors.
How to run a remote Crazy Eights session
- If you’re doing hand sketches, take an A4 paper, or something bigger, and fold into 8 sections. If you’re using an app, you can draw 8 sections.
- Start the timer for 1 minute and start drawing in an empty section.
- Once the timer is up, repeat the previous step until you have filled up all 8 sections.
- For those doing hand sketches, they can take a photo of their work, and upload to the virtual whiteboard software that the group is using. For those using apps to sketch, they can export to a file that can be uploaded to the whiteboard app.
- Each person now gets to talk and explain their ideas for a few minutes.
- Assign voting stickers to participants and start the timer for the voting process.
- The most popular idea is your final solution. Or you can take popular elements from the top 3 most voted designs and combine it into a better idea.